Whether you’ve decided it’s time to buy your first or your next home, the 2021 housing market is going to be full of competition for that perfect house you just saw online or while driving around the Capital District.
Don’t despair! You can move into your dream home in 2021. There are many reasons why now is a good time to buy, including still-low mortgage rates.
However, you will have lots of competition to see new houses as they come on the market. In fact, the most recent housing market report from the Greater Capital Association of REALTORS® noted that the number of homes listed for sale is well below normal and multiple offers are common.
“Homebuyers would do well to prepare for a competitive season with lower inventory in the more affordable price categories and continued growth in list prices. Still, the current affordable interest rates will continue to offset and should enable buyers to get more house for their home-buying dollar,” the January report noted. (https://gcar.com/strong-buyer-demand-continues-into-2021/)
So, what does this mean for your path to a new place to hang the “Home Sweet Home” sign?
In short, you need to be sure that you have covered all your bases and can make your offer when you find the right home. Here are few things you should focus on at the start of the process:
- Work out your needs and wants list. Needs should be things the house absolutely must have, such as a certain number of bedrooms. You may want a gas fireplace in the living room or a fenced-in yard, but you would be willing to consider houses without them. Decide what things you can compromise on to quickly rule in or out homes based on the description.
- Spend a little time “window shopping” on the Internet by scanning listing sites such as Realtor.com or our website at new-abode.com to see what’s available in areas where you think you might want to live. This will give you a sense of what that three-bedroom home with a two-car garage will cost in your desired community.
- Get prequalified for your mortgage, whether it’s through your bank or a mortgage broker. Ask about any mortgage programs you may qualify to use, such as an FHA, VA, or a State of New York Mortgage Agency (SONYMA) loan. These may offer lower down payment requirements and other terms to help you get the right mortgage. Being prequalified will help you set a realistic budget. Also, this is not the time to apply for other loans, such as for a car, which will affect your credit. Keep saving for your down payment and closing costs, too.
Select the right professional real estate agent who can guide you through every step of the process. You want to work with someone with Capital District housing market experience who you can trust. Our agents will:
- Take the time to get to know you and uncover the home features that are essential to you.
- Share our knowledge about navigating the home buying process.
- Connect with you to identify potential home options
- Coordinate showings to accommodate your schedule.
- Discuss with you the pros and cons of your top choices to select the best fit for you.
- Negotiate for you.
With these important processes out of the way, it’s time to watch the home listings for real and be ready to act. Please don’t wait to schedule a showing for a house that interests you because you could lose out given the heavy buyer competition in our market.
But, also bring your patience. It may take you longer to place the winning offer on a house that checks all your boxes. You may even have to make an offer on more than one. Be patient. We will get you there. You don’t want to make an offer on a house because you feel like it’s your only option. This is a big financial and personal decision, one that you’ll likely be living with for a long time. Don’t let your frustration get the better of you.
Our experienced agents will be with you every step of the way. We’ll help guide you and keep you on track to achieve the goals you set when we first met. We will help you find the right home at the right price where you want to be. We’ll be there to help you celebrate getting the keys to your new home!
Contact us for a no-obligation buyer or seller’s consultation today!